Brushy Mountain Backpacking Trip
Saturday, May 21 -
Sunday, May 22, 2022
For our May trip, Troop 54 returns to the
Metacomet-Monadnock Trail in Leverett, Massachusetts, for
our first time since June 2018. We will hike from Leverett to the Mosher Shelter, with hiking
distances estimated at 5.2 miles each day.
This trip is open to Scouts BSA members. Participants should weigh at least 90 pounds or bring a parent to carry some of their stuff.
Note: We had previously planned to have a ziplining trip this month. Instead, that trip will now be in June.
Troop 54 COVID-19 Controls will be
employed on this trip.
- Permission Slip - Each participating Scout
must submit this to the Scoutmaster by May 10.
- Event registration fee - pay by May 10 (includes food for youth only):
Youth - $15 (online payment)
Adult - $0 (online registration)
- Annual Health and Medical Record - Each
participant must have submitted
this record within the previous year and no later than May 10. This trip requires only Parts A and B,
including copy of insurance card (both sides). A medical exam is not required.
- CORI - Adults staying overnight must have submitted a CORI to
Troop 54 within the last year. If you need this, please submit it to the Scoutmaster by May 10.
- Youth Protection Training - Adults staying overnight must have
completed BSA Youth Protection Training within the prior two years. If you need this, submit your training
certificate to the Scoutmaster by May 10.
- Vehicle Information - If you are driving anyone other
than your own family members to and/or from the event (not likely during the COVID-19 pandemic) and your
vehicle information has not been provided to the Troop previously, please provide this to the Scoutmaster
by May 10.
Use our Backwoods Camping List to ensure you pack the needed items and see our Personal Camping Gear page for descriptions of most of the items needed and for how to use the checklist. You will pack your stuff in either an external frame or internal frame backpack (the big kind). Specific items to bring:
- Water bottles (2)
- Full uniform (as for just about any event) - wear this.
- Food - Each patrol should plan to provide 1 breakfast, 2 lunches (on the trail) and 1 dinner. Participants bring
your own drinks and food for snacks.
- Cloth face masks (at least 2 per person). Please ensure that masks are sized so that they will stay
- Meet at the Epworth United Methodist Church parking lot at 7:15 AM Saturday for
departure by 7:30 AM.
- Travel to the
is approximately 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Estimated return to the church is 3:30 PM Sunday.
Page updated 5/8/22