Block Island Camping Trip
Friday, August 26 -
Sunday, August 28, 2022
Block Island, Rhode Island
On this trip, we will camp at Sandsland Reservation on Block Island for our first time at least in recent years. Initially, we will travel to the ferry terminal in Point Judith, Rhode Island. We'll take the ferry over to Block Island. While on the island, we will get around by bicycle. Generally, we will camp backpacking style. If possible, we will have one truck with us to carry some gear.
This trip is open to Scouts BSA members and Webelos/AOL Scouts.
Troop 54 COVID-19 Controls will be
employed on this trip.
Registration is required further in advance than for most trips to ensure we get ferry tickets.
- Permission Slip - Each participating Scout must submit this to the Scoutmaster by June 21.
- Event registration fee - pay by June 21 (includes food):
Youth Up to 11 years old - $86 (online payment)
Participants 12 and older - $99 (online payment))
- Annual Health and Medical Record - Each
participant must have submitted this record within the previous year and no later than June 21. This trip requires only Parts A and B, including copy of insurance card (both sides). A medical exam is not required.
- CORI - Adults staying overnight must have submitted a CORI to
Troop 54 within the last year. If you need this, please submit it to the Scoutmaster by June 21.
- Youth Protection Training - Adults staying overnight must have
completed BSA Youth Protection Training within the prior two years. If you need this, submit your training certificate to the Scoutmaster by June 21.
- Vehicle Information - If you are driving anyone
other than your own family members to and/or from the event (not likely during the COVID-19 pandemic) and your vehicle information has not been provided to the Troop previously, please provide this to the Scoutmaster by June 21.
The camping will be done backpacking style. Use our Backwoods Camping List to ensure you pack the needed items and see our Personal Camping Gear page for descriptions of most of the items needed and for how to use the checklist. You will pack your stuff in either an external frame or internal frame backpack (the big kind). Specific items to bring:
- Water bottles (2)
- Full uniform (as for just about any event) - wear this.
- Food - Each patrol should plan to provide 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches and 2 dinners. Participants bring
your own drinks and food for snacks.
- Cloth face masks (at least 2 per person). Please ensure that masks are sized so that they will stay
- Bicycle with helmet.
- Meet at the Epworth United Methodist Church parking lot at 7:30 AM Friday for departure by 7:55 AM.
- Travel to the
Point Judith Ferry Terminal (address 304 Great Island Road, Narragansett, RI) can take up to 1 hour 50 minutes. We will take the 10:30 AM ferry.
- On Sunday, we will take the 10:00 AM ferry from Block Island and plan to return to Epworth by 12:55 PM.
Page updated 6/5/22