Pittsfield Backpacking Trip
Saturday, September 16 -
Sunday, September 17, 2023
Pittsfield State Forest
This trip takes us to Pittsfield State Forest for our first time. We will backpack in from a trailhead on the edge of the forest and camp in a youth group site in the main campground. We will mostly hike the Taconic Crest Trail in and the Turner Trail down to the camping area.
This trip is open to Scouts BSA members. Participants should weigh at least 90 pounds or bring a parent to carry some of their stuff.
- Permission Slip - Each participating Scout
must submit this to the Scoutmaster by September 5.
- Event registration fee - pay by September 5 (includes food for youth only):
Youth - $26 (online payment)
Adult - $6 (online registration)
- Annual Health and Medical Record - Each participant must have submitted this record within the previous year
and no later than September 5. This trip requires only Parts A and B, including copy of insurance card (both sides). A medical exam is not required.
- Adults - In accordance with a BSA rule that became effective September 1, 2023,
"All adults staying overnight in connection with a Scouting activity must be currently registered in an adult fee required position as listed or as an adult program participant."
Use our Backwoods Camping List to ensure you pack the needed items and see our Personal Camping Gear page for descriptions of most of the items needed and for how to use the checklist. You will pack your stuff in either an external frame or internal frame backpack (the big kind). Specific items to bring:
- Water bottles (2)
- Full uniform (as for just about any event) - wear this.
- Food - Each patrol should plan to provide 1 breakfast, 2 lunches (on the trail) and 1 dinner. Participants bring your own drinks and
food for snacks.
- Meet at the Epworth United Methodist Church parking lot at 7:15 AM Saturday for departure by 7:30 AM.
- Travel to the Balance Rock trailhead will take approximately 2 hours.
- Estimated return to the church is 3:00 PM Sunday.
Page updated 9/11/23