COVID-19 is the name of the coronavirus disease caused by the virus SARS-CoV-2 (severe acute
respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2).
Virtual Meetings and Events
On March 13, 2020, the Heart of New England posted a
statement on Facebook,
in which they strongly recommended suspending unit meetings and activities if the unit's school closes.
At about the same time, Worcester Public Schools
Twitter that their schools are closed until at least April 6. As a result, on March 14, 2020, the
Troop 54 is cancelling
our Kitchtau Camping Trip (Mar 20-22) and suspending in-person
meetings until April 6. Starting with our March 17 meeting, we are holding Virtual Troop Meetings at 7:00 PM. These will
likely all end by 8:00 PM.
As it turned out, our virtual meetings have generally run to the usual ending time of 8:30 PM, and
meetings have continued to be virtual at least through July 2020. We held virtual camping events (everyone
camping in their own backyard, connected via Zoom) in March, April, May and June.
Controls for In-person Events
COVID-19 Controls - The Troop is implementing
controls to limit COVID-19 transmission risk at in-person events, beginning with an initial version
posted July 4.
COVID-19 Screening Record - The Troop
will use this record to ensure that screening is completed as expected at an activity. Personal health
data is not recorded as part of this process.
On-line Sources of Information on COVID-19
disease (COVID-19) outbreak - WHO web page
Coronavirus (COVID-19) -
CDC web page
on the Outbreak of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Massachusetts Department of Public Health web
Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases Map - by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering
at Johns Hopkins University
Restart Scouting Checklist - Checklist of risk reduction steps for units to
use in conducting in-person activities.
Workplace Safety and Reopening Standards for Campgrounds - Phase III, Step 1 - From the
collection of Reopening Massachusetts documents.
Key Dates from the Massachusetts Perspective
- 31 Dec, 2019 - Pneumonia of unknown cause reported to WHO China Office.
- 01 Feb, 2020 - Massachusetts reported its first confirmed case of COVID-19.
- 10 Mar, 2020 - Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker declared a state of emergency.
- 11 Mar, 2020 - WHO characterized COVID-19 as a pandemic.
- 13 Mar, 2020 -
- US President Donald Trump declared a national state of emergency.
- Worcester Public Schools announced that its schools were to be closed until at least April 6.
- 15 Mar, 2020 -
- Edward Agustus, the City Manager, declared a state of emergency in the City of Worcester.
- The number of COVID-19 cases in the rest of the world first exceeded the number of cases in mainland China.
- Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker announced the closure of all schools in Massachusetts to close from March 17 to April 6. Several other measures were also announced, including the end of dine-in service at all restaurants and prohibiting gatherings of 25 people or more.
- 16 Mar, 2020 - US President Donald Trump called for a limit of 10 people in any gathering for the next
- 18 Mar, 2020 - Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker ordered that all day care centers in the state will close March 23 and not reopen until April 6, with some exceptions.
- 19 Mar, 2020 - Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker activated the state's National Guard to support COVID-19 response.
- 20 Mar, 2020 - Massachusetts confirmed its first COVID-19 death.
- 23 Mar, 2020 - Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker ordered all non-essential businesses to cease in-person operation from March 24 at noon until April 7 at noon.
- 23 Mar, 2020 - Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker ordered an extension of school and child care closures to not reopen before May 4.
- 27 Mar, 2020 - Baker-Polito Administration announced travel guidance requiring travelers arriving in Massachusetts to self-quarantine for 14 days.
- 29 Mar, 2020 - US President Donald Trump extended the federal guidance calling for social distancing measures across the United States through April 30.
- 11 Apr, 2020 - The US death toll from COVID-19 becomes the largest for any country in the world at over 18,000.
- 21 Apr 2020 - Baker-Polito Administration extended the closure of all public and private schools through the end of the school year, and the closure of all non-emergency childcare programs until June 29, 2020.
- 28 Apr 2020 - Charlie Baker extended the closure of non-essential businesses and organizations for in-person operations and the prohibition on gatherings of 10 or more people until May 18, 2020.
- 01 May 2020 - Charlie Baker ordered the wearing of a mask in public when social distancing is not possible.
- 18 May 2020 - Massachusetts issued its Reopening Massachusetts materials, including workplace standards and the move to Phase 1, effective May 18.
- 27 May 2020 - The number of deaths attributed to COVID-19 in the United States passed 100,000.
- 06 Jun 2020 - Charlie Baker ordered the move to Phase 2 Step 1 of the reopening of Massachusetts, effecive June 8.
- 19 Jun 2020 - Charlie Baker ordered the move to Phase 2 Step 2 of the reopening of Massachusetts, effective June 22.
- 02 Jul 2020 - Baker-Polito Administration announced the transition to Phase 3 Step 1 on July 6, 2020.
Page updated 7/6/20