For older boys looking to step up the challenge level:
- COPE - The Challenging Outdoor Personal Experience, originally a summer camp program at
Treasure Valley, is now available year-round by reservation and fee through the Council office.
White Water Rafting
Most locations are far enough that they are best planned as an overnight. Some of the possibilities:
- Concord River - in Massachusetts, about one hour from Worcester, MA.
- Dead River - in Maine, about five hours from Worcester, MA.
- Deerfield River - in Massachusetts, about one hour from Worcester, MA.
- Kennebec River - in Maine, about five hours from Worcester, MA.
- Millers River - in Massachusetts, about one hour from Worcester, MA.
- West River - in Vermont, about 2.5 hours from Worcester, MA.
Some of the rafting companies:
- Crab Apple - rafting adventures on the
Kennebec River and the Dead River in Maine, the Deerfield River and the Millers River in Massachusetts and the West River in Vermont. Other
offerings include paintball (not permitted for Scouting events). Special rafting packages for scout groups.
- Magic Falls Rafting Company - rafting adventures on the
Kennebec River and the Dead River, both in Maine. Other
offerings include rock climbng in West Forks, Maine.
- Moxie Outdoor Adventures - rafting adventures on the
Deerfield River in Massachusetts and the Kennebec River and the Dead River, both in Maine. Other
offerings include lakeside cabin campgrounds in West Forks, Maine, and kayak and overnight canoe trips.
- North Country Rivers - rafting adventures on the Kennebec River, the
Dead River and the Penobscot River, all in Maine. Other offerings include snowmobiling, ATV (all terrain vehicle) trails and Moose Safari.
- Northern Outdoors - rafting adventures on the Kennebec River, the Dead River and the Penobscot River, all in Maine. Other
offerings include snowmobiling and ATV (all terrain vehicle) trails.
- Zoar Outdoor - rafting adventures on the
Deerfield River, the Millers River and the Concord River, all in Massachusetts and the West River in Vermont. Other
offerings include rock climbng, zip line canopy tours, kayak and canoe clinics and wilderness first responder training.
Vertical Windtunnel (Indoor Skydiving)
- SkyVenture New Hampshire - Experience the freedom of flight in this indoor vertical wind tunnel. Located in Nashua, NH,
about one hour from Worcester, MA.
BSA High Adventure Bases
These bases are not near Worcester, but some Boy Scout troops or Venture crews build excellent trips around visits to these.
- The Summit - The Paul R. Christen National High Adventure Base, located at the
Summit Bechtel Reserve in West Virginia. This base opened in 2014 and features several high adventure programs:
Tires & Trails - Mountain Biking
Berms & Bars - BMX
Ramps & Rails - Skateboarding
Helmets & Harnesses - Zip Lines, Climbing & Challenge Courses
The Marksman - Archery and Shooting Sports
The River - Rafting and Kayaking
- Northern Tier - located in the Great North Woods of northern
Minnesota and Canada, this base features wilderness canoeing and camping and cold weather camping.
- Philmont Scout Ranch - comprising more than 214 square
miles of rugged northern New Mexico wilderness, this base is focused on 12-day backpacking treks and offers other programs, such as a trek by horseback.
- Florida Sea Base - located in Islamorada and on Summerland Key in the Florida Keys, as well as
Marsh Harbour, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas, this base features aquatic programs.
Council High Adventure Bases
- Alaska Ultimate High
Adventure - Great Alaska Council offers a variety of tours, including sea kayaking.
- Atchafalaya Swamp Base - Located between
Lafayette and Baton Rouges, Louisiana, this high adventure base operated by the
Evangeline Area Council features a 60 mile swamp trek.
- Denali High Adventure Scout Base -
Located at mile 133 on the Parks Highway in Alaska, this high adventure base operated by the Great Alaska
Council offers year-round programs in outdoor ethics, high adventure, bear safety and environmental
- Chilkoot High Adventure Base - Located
on Chilkat Peninsula, just 4 miles outside the picturesque town of Haines, Alaska, this high adventure
base operated by the Great Alaska Council and the International Wilderness Leadership School. The local treks vary in length and can comprise periods of sea kayaking, mountaineering,
glacier trekking, backpacking, whitewater rafting and ice climbing. Other treks include trips to
Mt. Kilimanjaro in Africa, to Mexico and to Ecuador.
- Floodwood Mountain Scout Reservation - Located in Tupper Lake, NY, this
camp offers canoe and backpacking treks.
- High Adventure Trek -
at Ten Mile River Scout Camps in Narrowsburg, New York (Greater New York
Council). Each year's program features a choice of several adventure bases.
- Maine High Adventure - Katahdin Area Council
offers this adventure base, located in Katahdin Scout Reservation in northern Maine. This base features
wilderness canoeing and backpacking treks.
- Massawepie Adirondack Trek Center -
Seneca Waterways Council offers this adventure base, located in Massawepie Scout Camps in
the Adirondack Mountains of New York State. This Trek Center offers canoeing, backpacking, and combination
- Montana High Adventure - Montana Council offers this adventure base, located at the
Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Ranch in Depuyes, Montana. The program at this base features 4 and 5 day hiking
- Tahosa High Adventure Base -
Denver Area Council offers this adventure base in Boulder County, Colorado. Programs inlude Olpik (winter
camping), Hooked On Tahosa (fly fishing) and COPE (ropes).
- America's Stonehenge - A man-made construction over 4000 years old, located in North Salem,
NH. They offer snow shoeing in the winter.
- Berkshire East Mountain Resort - Arial Adventure Park includes zip
lines, Berkshire East Canopy Tours claims some of North America's longest zip lines,
located in Charlemont, MA.
- Catamount Mountain Resort -
Two zip line adventures: the Arial Adventure Park and the Catamount Zip Tour (claiming to include the
biggest in North America), located in South Egremont, MA.
- Jiminy Peak Mountain Resort - The Aerial Adventure Park is a
self-guided aerial forest ropes course, the Mountain Adventure Park has several rides, and mountain biking is available with chair lifts, located in
- Loon Mountain Resort -
climb high in the Aerial Forest Adventure Park, zipline over the Pemigewasset River, or ride above it all in
a scenic gondola skyride. Located in Lincoln, NH.
- Monkey Trunks - high rope and zipline park with locations in Chocorua, NH,
Saco, ME and Weirs Beach, NH.
- Ramblewild - high rope and zipline park, located in Lanesborough, MA. Set on 10+ dedicated acres in the middle of over 1400
acres of pristine New England forest and mountain landscape.
- The Adventure Park at Storrs,
Connecticut - featuring 8 tree top trails with "bridges, ropes courses, ladders, 21 ziplines and
other crossings", plus "Glow in the Park" night time adventures. Located in Storr, CT, about 15 minutes
from June Norcross
Webster Scout Reservation.
- TreeTop Adventures - climbing and ziplines in Canton, MA..
- Vertical World Adventures - professional outdoor adventure guiding service located in Worcester, Massachusetts.
They can guide adventures in rock climbing, ice climbing and mountaineering.
- Zoar Outdoor Canopy Tours - professional outdoor adventure guiding service located in Worcester, Massachusetts.
located in Charlemont, MA.
Indoor climbing opportunities are listed on our Sports Participation page.
Page updated 5/15/22