Troop 54 started using the Scoutbook web app in Fall 2015. Currently, we use it
to track progress in several areas:
- Completion of requirements toward ranks.
- Completion of requirements toward merit badges (in some cases).
- Participation on camping trips.
- Participation on hikes.
- Completion of service hours.
Parents and Scouts can also use the even easier Scouting App.
Activate Your Account
One of the unit administrators will add you as a parent or leader; if you are a youth member, your
parent has to do this. You will then receive an E. Mail from email@example.com
You need to follow the instructions in the E. Mail to activate your account.
How to Access Scoutbook
Scoutbook is a web app. From a browser on your computer or on your phone, go to
works well on Android phones. On computers, it works better in Chrome than in Internet Explorer.
The main administrative functions are handled by the Scoutmaster. These include:
- Subscribing to the service for the Troop.
- Entering new adult and youth members. This includes assigning leader access levels for each youth member's record.
- Adding parents/guardians as connections to youth members.
- Entering new "memberships" for Scouts when they change patrols.
Assistant Scoutmaster Use
Selected Assistant Scoutmasters have access to view and update records of the Scouts in the Troop. These include:
- For each rank, the completion of each requirement can be separately recorded.
- A single completion can be entered for an entire rank.
- Separately, update the status of a rank as achieved or awarded.
Parent / Guardian Use
A parent/guardian has access to:
- View progress toward ranks.
- Provide access to Scoutbook to his/her youth.
This is a convenient way to see the requirements for a rank (also in your Scout's handbook).
The folks at the Boy Scouts of America give all parents access to enter completion of requirements,
but please do not enter completion of requirements and awards for your Scout.
Doing so will create an additional administative burden for our volunteer leaders (deleting those
Parent - How to give access to your Scout
See this document for instructions on how to give access to your Scout. Ensure that neither you nor your Scout tries to create an account for your Scout; the result of that is nearly unrecoverable (could take months to fix).
Recording Merit Badge Completions
- When a merit badge is completed, the Scoutmaster, an Assistant Scoutmaster or a merit badge counsellor
records it as Complete or Complete and Approved.
- If a merit badge is marked Complete by a parent, the Scoutmaster or an Assistant Scoutmaster
deletes this completion.
- If a merit badge is marked Complete by a leader, the Scoutmaster or an Assistant Scoutmaster
marks it as Approved.
- After the merit badge patch and card are purchased and assembled for presentation, the Advancement Chair
marks the merit badge as Awarded.
Recording Rank Completions
- When a rank requirement is completed, the Scoutmaster or an Assistant Scoutmaster records it as
Complete or Complete and Approved.
- If a rank requirement is marked Complete by a parent, the Scoutmaster or an Assistant Scoutmaster
deletes this completion.
- If a rank requirement is marked Complete by a leader, the Scoutmaster or an Assistant Scoutmaster
marks it as Approved.
- The last requirement for a rank is the Board of Review, completed by at least 3 members of the
Troop Committee. This completion is entered as Complete and Approved by a member of the committee present
at the BOR.
- If a BOR is marked Complete by a Committee Member, the Scoutmaster marks it as Approved.
- After the rank patch, card, Scout pin and parent pin are purchased and assembled for presentation,
the Advancement Chair marks the merit badge as Awarded.
Advancement Chair Use
- From the main troop view in Scoutbook, click Troop Reports > Needs Purchasing Report.
- Click "View Open PO #XXXXXX" and close or delete that purchase order.
- Go back to the report, select the award items to order and create a purchase order.
- Print the PO to PDF or save it as a PDF.
- Send the PO file to the Lancanster Scout Shop, copying the Heart of New England office. In that message,
add the rank or merit badge cards. For each rank, add a mother's pin and rank pin. Ask the Council office
to send the unit account balance to the Scout Shop.
- If necessary, pay for the purchase on your own card
and submit a scan of the receipt to the troop treasurer for reimbursement by E. Mail. Even if there
are sufficient funds in the unit accounts, send the receipt.
Intro Presentation - Prepared for Camp
Quarantine in April 2020.
Page updated 10/16/22