Most or all of the following are open to day visitors, but they are well-suited to overnight stays for Scouts (ages 11-17) as well:
- Lawrence L. Lee Scouting Museum - home to "an
exceedingly large collection of Boy Scout memorabilia and an exceptional Scouting Library". Located
in Manchester, NH (about 1.5 hours from Worcester, MA).
- Mystic Seaport
- The seaport features tall ships, historic buildings, exhibits, and a preservation shipyard. Spend a night on the Joseph Conrad.
Located in Mystic, CT (about 1.5 hours from Worcester, MA).
- Plimoth Plantation - Overnights include admission to the
museum for two days, an evening of hands-on educational activities, a 17th-century style dinner and a modern breakfast. Located
in Plymouth, MA (about 1.5 hours from Worcester, MA).
- Weather Discovery Center - Explore
the science of climate and weather through fun, interactive exhibits. Located at the Mount Washington Observatory in North Conway Village, NH
(approximately 3.5 hours from Worcester, MA).
Many of the overnights listed above also interest Cub Scouts (Grades 1-5, ages 6-10). In addition, the following are
better suited to these younger adventurers:
- Battleship Cove - Spend a night on
the battleship USS Massachusetts or on one of the other vessels in this museum. This museum features excellent exhibits
detailing life and work aboard the vessels. Located in Fall River, MA.
- The Children's Museum of Portsmouth - Located in
Portsmouth, NH (about 1-1/2 hours from Worcester, MA).
- Ecotarium - Our local science center offers
an overnight program.
- Fort Adams - Sleep in
bunk rooms or tent camp outside. Get a guided tour of the fort. Located in Newport, RI.
- Museum of Science - Overnights to this museum are usually
arranged by the Mohegan Council, so an individual pack or troop would sign up through them. Typically, any Scouts BSA participants act as den
guides for the Cub Scout participants. Located in Boston, MA (about one hour from Worcester,
- Mystic Acquarium - Located in Mystic, CT (about 1.5 hours from Worcester, MA).
- New England Air Museum - Located in Windsor Locks,
CT (approximately 1 hour from Worcester, MA). They host a Cub Scout overnight twice each year.
- Old Sturbridge Village - Their "Hop into History Overnight" program
includes hands-on activities, entertainment and games. Located in Sturbridge, MA (approximately 35 minutes from Worcester, MA).
- Overlook Farm
- an educational farm in Rutland, MA (20 minutes from Saint George Church).
- Pawtucket Red Sox - Known
more commonly as the "PawSox", a baseball team based in Pawtucket, RI (about 50 minutes from Worcester, MA). They usually had at least one Scout Overnight each year, featuring tent camping on the baseball field. Their last season in Pawtucket was 2020; they moved to Worcester and were renamed the WooSox.
- USS Salem - Spend a night
on the USS Salem, a heavy cruiser. The program is organized around a guided tour or the ship and planned activities in it. This
includes a ferry ride in the Boston harbor. Located in Quincy, MA
- Worcester Red Sox - Known
more commonly as the "WooSox", a baseball team based in Worcester, MA, starting in 2021. They had their first Scout Overnight event in 2021 and can be expected to continue hosting these.
Page updated 7/10/21