Tully Trail Backpacking Trip
Saturday, April 29 -
Sunday, April 30, 2023
For our April trip, Troop 54 returns to Tully Lake Park in Royalston, Massachusetts, for our first time since March 2012. We will hike the Tully Trail from the Spirit Falls Trailhead on Route 68/Warwick Road to the Falls Brook trail shelter (approximate location), with hiking distances estimated at 6.4 miles each day. The steep portion of the trail drops 500 feet in elevation over 0.8 mile along Spirit Falls, near the beginning of the first day and does the reverse the second day. The shelter is just a few hundred feet from the New Hampshire border, a possile day hike.
This trip was initially posted as the March 2023 trip. It was rescheduled for (hopefully) improved conditions for the backpacking trip.
This trip is open to Scouts BSA members. Participants should weigh at least 90 pounds or bring a parent to carry some of their stuff.
- Permission Slip - Each participating Scout
must submit this to the Scoutmaster by April 17.
- Event registration fee - pay by April 17 (includes food for youth only):
Youth - $19 (online payment)
Adult - $0 (online registration)
- Annual Health and Medical Record - Each participant must have submitted this record within the previous year
and no later than April 17. This trip requires only Parts A and B, including copy of insurance card (both sides). A medical exam is not required.
- CORI - Adults staying overnight must have submitted a CORI to
Troop 54 within the last year. If you need this, please submit it to the Scoutmaster by April 17.
- Youth Protection Training - Adults staying overnight must have
completed BSA Youth Protection Training within the prior two years. If you need this, submit your training certificate to the Scoutmaster by April 17.
- Vehicle Information - If you are driving anyone other
than your own family members to and/or from the event (not likely during the COVID-19 pandemic) and your vehicle information has not been provided to the Troop previously, please provide this to the Scoutmaster by April 17.
Use our Backwoods Camping List to ensure you pack the needed items and see our Personal Camping Gear page for descriptions of most of the items needed and for how to use the checklist. You will pack your stuff in either an external frame or internal frame backpack (the big kind). Specific items to bring:
- Water bottles (2)
- Full uniform (as for just about any event) - wear this.
- Food - Each patrol should plan to provide 1 breakfast, 2 lunches (on the trail) and 1 dinner. Participants bring your own drinks and
food for snacks.
- Meet at the Epworth United Methodist Church parking lot at 7:15 AM Saturday for departure by 7:30 AM.
- Travel to the Spirit Falls Trailhead on Route 68/Warwick Road is
approximately 1 hour.
- Estimated return to the church is 3:00 PM Sunday.
Page updated 4/11/23